Monday, February 16, 2015

Life and Loss: To Theo



Slightly somber post ahead!

In the midst of organizing and planning a load of travel and updating you all on my South African adventures so far, I was hit with the unexpected; losing a loved one while abroad. Death is the only outcome that we know to be guaranteed in this life and it is such an integral and unwavering aspect of human existence yet, it never gets easier to accept.

What happened? Long story short, my uncle went into the hospital with one large issue, which was ultimately corrected as a slew of other issues came tumbling down (on which an autopsy will shed light, hopefully).

The thing about living this Bonderman experience is that your reality is skewed. While you’re building new relationships, experiences, ideas, beliefs, understandings and sharing them with your loved ones, their lives move too. People go to grad school, they get married, babies are conceived and born, people hurt, they discover new things, they find happiness, and sadly, people die, with you there or not. Though that seems pretty obvious, it became extremely apparent to me.

My family is so close and so loving and I know they sat 30 or more deep in this hospital waiting room for days, showing love and supporting my aunt. All I wanted to do was be there. I did have the option to go home but decided coming back to travel after going home in that time would have ruined me. Also, I was reminded over and over and over that my uncle NEVER would have wanted or ¨allowed¨ me to come home. Keeping in mind his unwavering jealousy of my travel experience (hehe) and even less waivering PRIDE that he never hesitated to express, I know that the best way to honor him would be to continue my plans and make the best of this experience.

I’ll tell you a little about the man. Theo was crazy! Haha, the good kind of crazy. The life of the party type of crazy. He was the over-sized, over aged kid that all the kids loved. The one that would never say no to them, had zero impatience for them and believed wholeheartedly in letting kids be kids in all their glory. He had a love for the universe and all things sci-fi and a voice so strong he could nearly get you to love it too. One could always depend on him to walk around the corner, from seemingly nowhere, and insert the most ridiculous, probably off topic comment into otherwise respectable conversations. And you could guarantee that he’d do anything for you if you offered a steak and a gallon of milk...not sure why he loved milk so much. Granted, he'd do it without those offers as well. This man is well loved and loves well. I have no questions about how much he loves me.

Okay, teary eyed me is done for the moment but I will share a few last things. Below are a few commercials that featured my uncle, and his voice as well as family photos.


Theo as Frank (we laughed about this for some time)


He is the voice of the Cavs App

Me photo-bombing my aunt and uncle
This is normal
Uncles, Aunts, Parents and Grandma bringing in 2015

5 comments:

  1. Man you sure put it all in prospective. Your words and love have me crying. OK I stopped The only said party so party and travel til we drop Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this and balling...the pain is real! Love you be strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is almost 2020, 5 years, reading this gives me such a loving feeling of my son, it makes me feel his love so strong, see his smile, hear him laughing and bring tears to my eyes. My first born, I love so very much and I really miss him. To his niece thank you for the wonderful memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved my brother so much and I miss him soo, it hurts, I love this, it is so beautiful! I really needed this. Thank you so very much, love you!!!

    ReplyDelete